The first post was on the 2nd February 2009 and today marks the start of the blog's 6th year. There have been 96,000 page views of the 910 posts recording the 5 years of Worcester College's garden history. The first post recorded the weather, snow, and this one, the first of year 6, records the weather as gale force winds, rain and more rain! In fact, as of the 30th January, the Met Office statistics show that Southeast and Central Southern England has had more than twice the average rainfall in January 2014 making it the wettest January since records began in 1910.
UK extreme weather occurrances seemed to have increased over the last 5 years, recorded on the blog:
- Winter months 2009-10 recorded the coldest temperatures in the last 31 years
- November 2010, the coldest November in 17 years
- December 2010, the coldest December in the last 120 years
- February 2012 (first two weeks) the coldest for 26 years
- March 2012, the third warmest since 1910
- April 2012, the wettest since 1910
- March/April/May 2013 (Spring 2013), coldest spring for 50 years
The wet weather is set to continue, hopefully this will be the only extreme weather recorded during the blog's 6th year.